When I first started out in my property journey (over 20 years ago) I went to speak to a friend’s husband who had 5 student multi-lets to find out exactly how he had created this small but effective portfolio. I copied his model, learned how to raise finance from the bank before BTL mortgages were created, and studied tenant and landlord law to develop my knowledge and application. With Alan’s guidance and support, I began to make good profits from my very first student multi-let property, and I didn’t look back.
Over the years I have had other mentors – business, personal, HMO specialists – all people who have done what I wanted to do but didn’t know HOW to do it. In the past, I have also worked with a personal trainer and a spiritual advisor to help me grow and develop as a person and to this day still implement the practices I learnt with them. Often I chose people that I wanted to work with because I could see that they had done something against the backdrop of challenges which I too was facing. My personal trainer for example, also had a young family, so could understand the difficulties of fitting exercise around a busy lifestyle. She also understood the problems of feeding a family when they want to eat egg and chips and you want to nourish yourself with avocado and feta salad.
If you need to find someone who is right to mentor you, it helps if you have an understanding of where you are now, and also what’s stopping you. You may have identified a goal that you want to achieve but you aren’t sure HOW to achieve it. You may look at others who are successfully running businesses, creating passive income or building property portfolios but just not know where to start. This confusion leads to you chasing your tail. It leads to indecision, procrastination and defeat. How do you avoid this trap? You need to find someone who has already demonstrated a PATTERN of success, that you can simply copy and paste. Also, someone who you can relate to and who has themselves proven that despite life’s challenges, they have achieved success.
The benefits to you in finding someone who has already done this are multifarious:
1) Not wasting time on U-turns and dead ends looking for answers that someone else has already discovered
2) You can build a business based on tried and tested principals and practice
3) Utilising someone else’s mistakes from which you can grow
4) Improving on the ideas you glean from another person’s implementation
5) Finding short cuts and faster routes to delivery (i.e. NOT reinventing the wheel)!
6) Staying accountable to your goals
8) Having someone who’s on your side with whom you can confidentially share your worries, concerns and questions
9) Having your ‘blind spots’ illuminated and your ‘starshine’ magnified
10) Saving thousands of pounds and hours of time in non-personalised and irrelevant learning which doesn’t take account of YOUR situation, strengths, position and goals.
The question is – WHO do you need? And WHAT are you trying to achieve? THEN you can find someone who has done it successfully, COPY their systems and processes, and PASTE them into your life, with help and support tied in to ENSURE your SUCCESS! The only question is WILL YOU?!